Andrew Jordan is fascinated by the politics that emerge when attempts are made to govern environmental problems using the tools and methods of public policy. He has examined how these different forms of politics have played out in relation to different aspects of governing including the use of new policy instruments, policy coordination across sectors, policy innovation and policy dismantling. He undertakes comparative work on these topics in substantive policy areas such as climate change and sustainable development. He is particularly interested in governing processes that occur in the European Union, its Member States and third countries outside of Europe.
He has published many papers and books on these themes, including Dismantling Public Policy (Oxford University Press, 2012), The Tools of Policy Formulation (Edward Elgar, 2015, with John Turnpenny) and the third edition of EU Environmental Policy (Earthscan, 2012, with Camilla Adelle).
In the past, he has taken on leadership roles in many large national and EU-funded projects, and produced work for a number of knowledge users including the OECD, the UK Cabinet Office, the UK environment ministry (DEFRA), UK Foresight, the European Commission, the Dutch Environment Ministry, WWF and the RSPB. In 2015-16 he served as specialist advisor to the UK Parliamentary environmental audit committee for its inquiry on the EU referendum.
He was the Editor and/or Managing Editor of the international journal Environment and Planning C (Government and Policy) from 1998-2016. He currently sits on the editorial boards of West European Politics, Policy Sciences, Economic Geography and Environmental Politics.
In 2008 he was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS) and in 2017 he was identified as a Web of Science Highly Cited Researcher, one of only 180 social scientists in the world.
He currently sits on the Scientific Committee of the European Environment Agency (2016-2020) and the Advisory Group of the NERC Environmental Evidence for the Future Initiative (2017-8).
- Schoenefeld, J. J., Hildén, M., Jordan, A. J. (2018) The challenges of monitoring national climate policy: learning lessons from the EU, in Climate Policy 18 (1) pp. 118-128 Full Text UEA Repository (Article)(Published)
- Kivimaa, P., Hildén, M., Huitema, D., Jordan, A., Newig, J.(2017) Experiments in climate governance – A systematic review of research on energy and built environment transitions, in Journal of Cleaner Production169 pp. 17-29 Full Text UEA Repository (Article) (Published)
- Hildén, M., Jordan, A., Huitema, D. (2017) Special Issue on Experimentation for Climate Change SolutionsEditorial: The search for climate change and sustainability solutions: the promise and the pitfalls of experimentation, in Journal of Cleaner Production 169 pp. 1-7 Full Text (Editorial) (Published)
- Patterson, J., Thaler, T., Hoffmann, M., Hughes, S., Oels, A., Chu, E., Mert, A., Huitema, D., Burch, S., Jordan, A. (2018) Political feasibility of 1.5°C societal transformations: the role of social justice, in Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 31 pp. 1-9 Full Text UEA Repository (Article) (E-pub ahead of print)
- Schoenefeld, J., Jordan, A. (2017) Governing policy evaluation? Towards a new typology, in Evaluation 23(3) pp. 274–293 Full Text UEA Repository (Article) (Published)
- Benson, D., Jordan, A. (2017) Environmental Governance, in The International Encyclopedia of Geography.Wiley Full Text (Entry for encyclopedia/dictionary) (Published)
- Maor, M., Tosun, J., Jordan, A. (2017) Proportionate and disproportionate policy responses to climate change: core concepts and empirical applications, in Journal of Environmental Policy & Planning 19 (6) pp. 599-611 Full Text UEA Repository (Article) (Published)
- Peters, B. G., Jordan, A., Tosun, J. (2017) Over-reaction and under-reaction in climate policy: an institutional analysis, in Journal of Environmental Policy & Planning 19 (6) pp. 612-624 Full Text UEA Repository (Article) (Published)
- Rayner, T., Jordan, A. (2016) The United Kingdom: A Record of Leadership under Threat, in The European Union in International Climate Change Politics : Still Taking a Lead?. Routledge pp. 173-188 ISBN 9781138647183 Full Text UEA Repository (Chapter) (Published)
- Rayner, T., Jordan, A. (2016) Climate Change Policy in the European Union, in Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science. Oxford University Press, Oxford Full Text (Chapter (peer-reviewed)) (Published)
- Benson, D., Jordan, A. (2016) Climate policy instrument choices, in Climate Change Law. Edward Elgar Publishing ISBN 978 1 78347 760 9 Full Text UEA Repository (Chapter)(Published)
- Young, J., Searle, K., Butler, A., Simmons, P., Watt, A. D., Jordan, A. (2016) The role of trust in the resolution of conservation conflicts, in Biological Conservation 195 pp. 196-202Full Text UEA Repository(Article)(Published)
- Benson, D., Jordan, A. (2016) Environmental Policy,in European Union Politics.Oxford University Press pp. 323-335ISBN 9780198708933Full Text UEA Repository (Chapter)(Published)
- Benson, D., Jordan, A. (2016) Subsidiarity as a ‘scaling device’ in environmental governance: The case of the European Union,in Multilevel Environmental Governance : Managing Water and Climate Change in Europe and North America.pp. 39-57ISBN 978 0 85793 924 1, 978 1 78347 284 0Full Text UEA Repository (Chapter) (Published)
- Russel, D., Jordan, A., Turnpenny, J. (2016) The use of ecosystem services knowledge in policy-making: drawing lessons and adjusting expectations, in Routledge Handbook of Ecosystem Services.Routledgepp. 586-596ISBN 9781138025080Full Text UEA Repository (Chapter)(Published)
- Turnpenny, J., Russel, D., Jordan, A., Bond, A., Sheate, W. (2016) Environment,in Handbook of Regulatory Impact Assessment.Edward Elgarpp. 193-208ISBN 978 1 78254 955 0 Full Text UEA Repository (Chapter) (Published)
- Gravey, V., Jordan, A.(2016)Does the European Union have a reverse gear? Policy dismantling in a hyperconsensual polity,in Journal of European Public Policy23 (8) pp. 1180-1198 Full Text UEA Repository (Article) (Published)
- Jordan, A. J., Huitema, D., Hildén, M., van Asselt, H., Rayner, T. J., Schoenefeld, J. J., Tosun, J., Forster, J., Boasson, E. L. (2015) Emergence of polycentric climate governance and its future prospects,in Nature Climate Change 5 pp. 977-982 Full Text UEA Repository (Article)(Published)
- Geneletti, D., Bond, A., Russel, D., Turnpenny, J., Sheate, W., Jordan, A. (2015) Ecosystem services and sustainability assessment: theory and practice,in Handbook of Sustainability Assessment.Edward Elgarpp. 215-234 ISBN 9781783471362 Full Text UEA Repository (Chapter) (Published)
- Adelle, C., Jordan, A., Benson, D.(2015)The role of policy networks in the coordination of the European Union’s economic and environmental interests: The case of EU mercury policy,in Journal of European Integration – Revue d’Integration Europeanne37(4)pp. 471-489 Full Text UEA Repository (Article) (Published)
- Jordan, A.J. and C. Adelle (ed.) (2012) Environmental Policy in the European Union: Contexts, Actors and Policy Dynamics (3e). Routledge: London.
- Bauer, M., A.J. Jordan, C. Green-Pedersen and A Héritier (eds.) (2012) Dismantling Public Policy: Preferences, Strategies and Effects. Oxford University Press: Oxford
- Jordan, A.J. van Asselt, H., Berkhout, F. Huitema, D and T. Rayner (2012) Understanding the paradoxes of multi-level governing: Climate change policy in the European Union. Global Environmental Politics, 12, 2, 41-64.
- Adelle, C., Jordan, A.J. and J. Turnpenny (2012) Proceeding in parallel or drifting apart? A systematic review of policy appraisal research and practices. Environment and Planning C, 30, 3, 400-14.
- Bulkeley, H. and A.J. Jordan (2012) Transnational environmental governance: new findings and emerging research agendas. Environment and Planning C, 30, 4 (in press).
- Huitema, D., Jordan, A., et al. (2011) The evaluation of climate policy: theory and emerging practice in Europe. Policy Sciences, 44, 2, 179-198
- Benson, D. and A.J. Jordan (2010) The scaling of water governance tasks: a comparative federal analysis of the European Union and Australia. Environmental Management, 46, 1, 7-16.
- Jordan, A.J. and A. Lenschow (2010) Environmental Policy Integration: A State of the Art Review. Environmental Policy and Governance, 20, 3, 147-158.*
- Haug, C. Rayner, T. and Jordan A. et al. (2010) Navigating the dilemmas of climate policy in Europe: evidence from policy evaluation studies. Climatic Change, 101, 3-4 (August), 427-445.*
- Turnpenny, J., Radaelli, C., Jordan, A.J. and K. Jacob (2009) The Policy and Politics of Policy Appraisal: Emerging Trends and New Directions. Journal of European Public Policy, 16, 4, 640-53.
- Russel, D. and A. Jordan (2009) Joining up or Pulling Apart? The Use of Appraisal to Coordinate Policy Making for Sustainable Development, Environment and Planning A, 41, 5, 1201-1216.
- Hertin, J., J. Turnpenny, M. Jordan, A. Nilsson, B. Nykvist, and D. Russel (2009). Rationalising the policy mess? The role of ex ante policy assessment and the utilization of knowledge in the policy process, Environment and Planning A, 41, 5, 1185-1200.
- Nilsson, M., Jordan, A.J., Turnpenny, J., Hertin, J. Nykvist, B. And D. Russel et al. (2008) The Use and Non-Use of Policy Appraisal Tools in Public Policy Making: An Analysis of Three European Countries and the European Union. Policy Sciences, 41, 335-355.
- Jordan, A.J. (2008) The Governance of Sustainable Development: Taking Stock and Looking Forwards. Environment and Planning C 26, 1, 17-33.