John Didacus Njoku is an Associate Professor in Geography at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria.
His research interests center on the application of Remote Sensing & GIS in Environmental Monitoring, Mapping, Urban Environmental Governance, Global Change, Food Security, Disaster Risk Reduction and Management as well as Applied Climatology. He devotes copious attention to climate change adaptation by poor, marginalized groups and people living on land; also on forest dynamics and response to climate variation and change as well as building resilience by vulnerable groups in urban milieu. He is a Research Affiliate, Institute of Environmental Health and Justice, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria. In 2009, he was Tour Guide, BBC World Service Trust during a project on climate change impacts in eastern Nigeria. He was invited to the 1st and 2nd African Food Security Conference in 2013 and 2015 (see www.afsac2.aaknet.org); and to the International Conference on Applied Geo-informatics for Society and Environment in 2011 in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2009, he represented the User Community at the Third African Leadership Conference on Space Science and Technology for Sustainable Development in Algiers, Algeria, among others. He is Rapporteur of the Nigeria National Branch (NNB) of the Ecosystem Based Adaptation for Food Security in Africa Assembly (EBAFOSA), email@example.com, www.ebafosa.org. Journal Editor, Journal of the Nigerian Cartographic Association. He is a member of Association of Nigerian Geographers, Cartographic Association of Nigeria, Nigerian Environmental Society as well as the Nigerian Institute of Management. He is widely travelled and has published severally in Remote Sensing, GIS and Mapping application to Environmental Surveillance and Management.
Some recent publications include
- 2015: Ebe TE, Mgbemena IC, Njoku-Tony RF, Njoku JD and Emereibeole E.: Comparative analysis of petroleum ether and aqueous extracts of Neem leaf and Neem stem on different stages of anopheles gambiae, Journal of Natural Science Research, ISSN 2224-3186 (Paper), 2225-0921 (Online) Vol. 5, No 12, The International Institute for Science, Technology and Education (IISTE), USA/Hong Kong
- 2015: Njoku, JD, BN Ubbaonu and Ojinere WN.: Prevalence of HIV/AIDS scourge and gender performance levels in Imo State of Nigeria, International Journal of Gender and Development Issues, Vol. 2 No. 4, ISSN 2360 – 8528, Institute for Women, Gender and Development Studies, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria
- 2014: Njoku, JD: GIS-based Site Selection Analysis for Public Healthcare Facilities in the Twin City, Owerri, South-eastern Nigeria International Journal of Applied Research and Technology 2(4): 151 – 172, ISSN 2277 – 0585, Esxon Publishers
- 2014: GT Amanbagara, JD. Njoku and M. Obenade : Applying Satellite Remote Sensing and GIS Tools in the Study of Gully Erosion, Journal of Scientific Research Reports Vol. 4(3): 253-264,; Article no.JSRR.2015.029 DOI: 10.9734/JSRR/2015/12753 (2014), 2320–0227, SCIENCEDOMAIN International, UK.
- 2013: Njoku JD, GT Amangabara and PN Duru: Spatial assessment of urban flood risks in Aba metropolis using geographical information systems techniques, Global Advanced Research Journal of Environmental Science and Toxicology (ISSN 2315-5140) Vol. 2 (3) pp. 086 – 092 March
- 2013: JD Njoku: Agro-Ecological Assessment of Soil Quality of a River Watershed in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria. Journal of Environment and Earth Science, vol 3 (1), The International Institute for Science, Technology and Education (IISTE), USA/Hong Kong. ISSN 2224-3216 (Paper) ISSN 2225-0948 (Online)
- 2012: Njoku, JD: Investigations on the impact of some changing climatic factors on forest cover in Southeastern Nigeria. Advances in Science and Technology, An African Journal for Research, Innovation and Discovery, Special Issue on Climate Change: perspectives from Africa, Published by Greenfield Education Foundation (ISSN: 2006-0394) Vol 6, No 2S (1 – 144) August, pp. 82 – 90.
- 2012: Ihejirika CE, JD Njoku, LA Nwaogu, M Obenade TE Ebe, CC Ejiogu and MC Iwuji: Effects of Meteorological Events on the Levels and Interactions of Chemical Indices of a Polluted Freshwater System. International Journal of Environmental Science, Management and Engineering Research, Vol. 1(1), pp. 31 – 37, Jan-Feb
- 2012: Njoku, JD: Application of Geographical Information Systems Technology in Soil Fertility Variation Analysis in Southeastern Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Technology, Published by the International Association of African Researchers and Reviewers Inc, Ethiopia, Vol. 1 (1) January – March, pp. 47 – 59.
- 2010: Njoku, JD, Ebe, TE, Pat-Mbano, EC: Detection and Mapping of Land Use and Land Cover Classes of a Developing City in Southeastern Region of Nigeria, using Multi-band Digital Remotely-sensed Data. Paper published by the African Research Review Journal, [An International Multi-disciplinary Journal] Ethiopia, vol. 4, No. 3b, pp. 315 – 330.
- 2010: Njoku JD: Comparative Detection of Infrastructural Land Conversion Dynamics in a Nigerian City using Space Technology. Paper published by the African Research Review Journal, [An International Multi-disciplinary Journal] Ethiopia, vol. 4, No. 3a, pp. 341 – 348.
Department of Urban and Regional Planning
Federal University of Technology, Owerri
PMB 1526 Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria
Mobile: +234 803 401 6638