Kacper Szulecki (Poland) is an assistant professor at the Department of Political Science, Oslo University. He was previously Dahrendorf Postdoctoral Fellow at the Hertie School of Governance, Berlin, and a guest researcher at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW), as well as a researcher at the Cluster of Excellence “Cultural Foundations of Integration” at the University of Konstanz, German, and an intern at the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM) in Amsterdam. He is also board director of the Environmental Studies and Policy Research Institute (ESPRi), an environmental policy think-tank based in Wroclaw, Poland; as well as an editor of the weekly magazine “Kultura Liberalna” (Poland). He studied political science, international relations, sociology, psychology and linguistics at the universities in Warsaw and Oslo, as well as the Warsaw School of Social Sciences and Humanities. He holds an M.Sc. degree in international relations (cum laude, 2008) from the VU University Amsterdam, where he submitted a thesis on transnational environmental governance. He received a Ph.D. in the social sciences from the University of Konstanz (summa cum laude, 2012). His research interests include climate and energy policy, environmental governance, transnational social movements and green politics in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Szulecki, K. 2018. ‘Conceptualizing Energy Democracy’, Environmental Politics, 27(1) 21-41, DOI: 10.1080/09644016.2017.1387294
- Szulecki, K. (ed.) Energy Security in Europe. Divergent Perceptions and Policy Challenges, London: Palgrave Macmillan, October 2017, ISBN 978-3-319-64963-4
- Szulecki, K. (ed.) European Energy Governance and Decarbonization Policy: Learning from the 2020 Strategy, special issue of Climate Policy journal (Taylor & Francis), July 2016.
- Szulecki, K., S. Fischer, A.T. Gullberg and O. Sartor, 2016. ‘Shaping the ‘Energy Union’: between national positions and governance innovation in EU energy and climate policy’, Climate Policy, Climate Policy, 16(5), pp 548-567, DOI: 10.1080/14693062.2015.1135100
- Szulecki, K., Borewicz, T. and J. Waluszko, 2015, ‘A Brief Green Moment: The emergence and decline of Polish anti-nuclear and environmental movement’, Interface, Volume 7 (2), pp. 27 – 48
- Szulecki, K. and K. Westphal, 2014, ‘The cardinal sins of European energy policy: Non-Governance in an uncertain global landscape’, Global Policy, 5(s1), pp. 38-51, DOI: 10.1111/1758-5899.12153
- Creutzig, F., Hedahl, M., Rydge, J. and K. Szulecki, 2014, ‘Challenging the European Climate Debate: Can Universal Climate Justice and Economics be Reconciled with Particularistic Politics?’, Global Policy, 5(s1), pp. 6–14, DOI: 10.1111/1758-5899.12156
- Puka, L. and K. Szulecki, 2014, ‘The politics and economics of cross-border electricity infrastructure: A framework for analysis’, Energy Research and Social Science, 4, pp. 124–134, DOI: 10.1016/j.erss.2014.10.003
- Szulecka, J. and K. Szulecki, 2013, ‘Analysing the Rospuda River Controversy in Poland: Rhetoric, Environmental Activism and the Influence of the European Union’, East European Politics 29 (4), pp. 397 – 419. DOI:10.1080/21599165.2013.836701
- Szulecki, K., Biermann F. and P. Pattberg, 2011, ‘Explaining Variation in the Performance of Energy Partnerships’, Governance: An International Journal of Policy, Administration and Institutions, 24(4), pp. 713 -736. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-0491.2011.01544.x