Leandra Gonçalves is a Ph.D. in International Relations at University of Sao Paulo (IRI – www.iri.usp.br) in Brazil. She holds a B.Sc. in Biology (Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Campinas, São Paulo – 2004) and a M.Sc. in Biology and Animal Behavior (Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, Minas Gerais, Brasil, 2007).
Currently, she is a Associate Researcher at the Center of Environmental Studies and Research at University of Campinas (Nepam/Unicamp). She has been working with environmental NGOs as Greenpeace and SOS Mata Atlântica Foundation since 2007, where she could develop and improve her public engagement skills by planning and coordinating activities and by doing advocacy work for marine public policies in Brasilia interacting with other national stakeholders. At an international level, she worked in coalition with a network of other NGOs in the international conferences such as International Whaling Commission.
This empirical experience on international conferences move her focus to seek an answer through her Ph.D. to the question: why the international agreements for the oceans, under the Regional Fisheries Management Organizations (RFMOs), are failing to manage, recover and conserve the fisheries populations, despite all the scientific recognition of its crucial importance for the global ecological boundaries? To answer this question, the research evaluated States behavior, epistemic communities influence and how the international agreements architecture could help to promote effectiveness of governance systems as well as the overall integration of global, regional, national and local governance.
As a research fellow for the Earth System Governance project, she is working with other colleagues for the development of a PainelMar in Brazil with the general aim of bridging knowledge networks for better ocean governance. Also, on the international level, she is part of the Ocean Governance TaskForce with other colleagues which seeks to address the daunting multi-level challenge of oceans governance in the Anthropocene.
- GONCALVES, L.R. (in press). Organizações regionais para o ordenamento pesqueiro: o poder ouve a ciência? Carta Internacional.
- Gerhardinger, L. C., Gorris, P., GONCALVES, L. R., Herbst, D. F., Vila Nova, D., De Carvalho, F. G., … & Zondervan, R. (2017). Healing the Blue Amazon: The role of knowledge networks in nurturing cross-scale transformations at the frontlines of ocean sustainability. Frontiers in Marine Science, 4, 395.
- GONCALVES, L.R. (2016). Responsive governance: an approach to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity beyond areas of national jurisdiction. Paper presented at International Studies Association Conference. New Orleans. 2015.
- Franklin, W.; Franklin, T.; Jenner, C.; Jenner, M.; GONCALVES, L.R. Leaper, R.; Brooks, L. and Clapham, P. 2008. Photo-identification comparison of humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) flukes from Antarctic Area IV with fluke catalogues from East Africa, Western Australia and Eastern Australia. J. CETACEAN RES. MANAGE, 17, 1-7.
- GONÇALVES, Leandra Regina; Augustowski, Mabel; Andriolo, Artur. 2015. Occurrence, distribution and behavior of Bryde’s whales (Cetacea: Mysticeti) off south-east Brazil. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, p. 1-12.
- GONCALVES, Leandra Regina. Regional Fishery Management Organizations: A Road Ahead to Effectiveness. Paper presented at International Studies Association Conference. New Orleans. 2015.
- GERHARDINGER, L.C .; GONÇALVES, Leandra Regina; MOTTA, F. S.; SCHNEIDER, S.; CARVALHO, F. G.; NOVA, D. V.. Setting and Implementing a Programmatic Agenda for Coastal-Marine Networks in Brazil. In: McConney, P .; R. Medeiros; M. Pena .. (Org.). Enhancing Stewardship in Small-Scale Fisheries: Practices and Perspectives .. 73ed.Barbados: Too Big To Ignore (TBTI) and Center for Resource Management and Environmental Studies, The Universi, 2014, v. , P. 1-162.
- GONÇALVES, Leandra Regina. Limitations of multilateralism for global governance of the oceans In: National Meeting of the Brazilian Association of International Relations, 2013, Belo Horizonte. Annals of the National Meeting of International Relations. 2013.
- GONCALVES, Leandra Regina. (2010). Sea, oil and biodiversity. The geography of conflict. Greenpeace Civil Association. Technical report. Available at: www.greeenpeace.org.br/oceanos/mapa
- Barnes, David K.A., Walters, Adam, GONÇALVES, Leandra Regina. Macroplastics at sea around Antarctica. Marine Environmental Research. V.70, p.250-252, 2010.
- Franklin, W.; Franklin, T.; Jenner, C.; Jenner, M.; GONCALVES, L.R. Leaper, R.; Brooks, L. and Clapham, P. 2008.Photo-identification comparison of humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) flukes from Antarctic Area IV with Western and Eastern Australian fluke catalogues. Scientific Committee paper. International Whaling Commission. SC/60/SH1.