Matilde de Souza is an adjunct professor at the Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais, Brazil. She is PhD in Political Science and since the mid-1990s, she have been working on themes about environmental agenda in the field of international relations, and her main research topic has been governance of freshwater. She have carried out some projects that involved the governance of transboundary freshwater in South America, focusing on the Amazon River Basin and the La Prata River Basin.
This research agenda has converged with her ever-growing interest in discussing climate change issues. She have already advised several master’s degrees and doctoral students on this subject, and since 2009, she have been discussing questions related to water security and governance of freshwaters, due to the extreme climatic events. She is currently coordinating a research project that investigate, in a comparative perspective, the implementation of policies to adapt to climate change considering water, food, and energy security in countries of the Global South.
- SOUZA, Matilde de; VELOSO, Franciely Torrente; SANTOS, Letícia Britto dos and CAEIRO, Rebeca Bernardo da Silva. Governance of Common-Pool Resources: transboundary basins. Rev. bras. polít. int. [online]. 2014, vol.57, n.2, pp.152-175. ISSN 0034-7329. 10.1590/0034-7329201400309.
- Souza, Matilde de; TEIXEIRA, R. C. ; ZAHREDDINE, D. . Meio Ambiente: Debate político central do Século XXI. 1. ed. Belo Horizonte: PUC Minas, 2015. v. 1. 266p . ISBN: 9788582290323
- Souza, Matilde de; DULCI, Otávio . Cooperação Sul-Sul: práticas, abordagens e desafios. 1. ed. Belo Horizonte: Fino Traço, 2016. v. 1. 328p . ISBN: 9788580543070
- SOUZA, Matilde de; VERSIEUX, Bernardo Hoffman. Brazil on transboundary water resources governance: the role of the National Water Agency in Amazon river basin management. Carta Internacional, Vol. 10, edição especial, 2015 [p. 114 a 132]. 10.21530/ci.v10n3.2015.300.
- SOUZA, Matilde de; SANTOS, Letícia Britto; MENDES, Cristiano Garcia. The Securitization of Climate Change: The IPCC as a securitizer agent for the Small Island States. Global IR and Regional Worlds: a new agenda for international studies. International Studies Assotiation, 2015.
- SOUZA, Matilde de; SILVA, Carla Pereira; BARBOSA, Luciana Mendes. Governance and diffusion of norms for shared aquifers management: the role of ISARM. Contexto int. [online]. 2014, vol.36, n.1, pp.261-289. ISSN 0102-8529. 10.1590/S0102-85292014000100009.
- SOUZA, Matilde de. Pannel – Environmental Politics, and Cooperation: A Perspective of the South Countries. 2014. FLACSO-ISA Joint International Conference.
- BARBOSA, Luciana Mendes; SOUZA, Matilde de. Securitization of climate change: the role of European Union. Contexto int. [online]. 2010, vol.32, n.1, pp.121-153. ISSN 0102-8529. 10.1590/S0102-85292010000100004.
- Climate Change and Water Security: analysis of the role of the National Water Agency in the internalization of international policies to mitigate and adapt the effects of climate change to the Brazilian model of governance of water resources. Funded by the Foundation for Research Support of the State of Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG) and by the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq)
- Brazilian foreign environmental policy in South America and in the International Regime of Climate Change. Funded by PUC Minas.
- International Environmental Security Policy: adaptation and mitigation measures adopted by SIDS in the face of extreme weather events. Funded by the Foundation for Research Support of the State of Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG).