Dr. Sylvia Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen is assistant professor with the Public Administration and Policy Group of Wageningen University, the Netherlands and adjunct professor in global environmental governance at Helsinki University, Finland. Sylvia holds an M.Sc. in Biology/Ecotoxicology from Uppsala University and a Ph.D (political science) from Linköping University, Sweden. She has been a Postdoctoral Fellow with the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy and a Visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Public International Law, Leiden University and held a five year position as Research Fellow with the Academy of Finland.
She has also worked for the International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change (IHDP) in Bonn, Germany. Sylvia’s research is in multilevel and global environmental governance with a special interest in the interaction between knowledge, values and institutions. In particular she analyses the legitimacy of different forms of global public governance and the factors that generates legitimacy such as participation and accountability. She has over 40 scientific publications.
She publishes on the fields of global climate, energy, biodiversity and sustainable development governance:
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S., Groff, M., Tamás, P.A., Dahl, A.L., Harder, M., Hassall, G., 2017a. Entry Into Force and Then? The Paris Agreement and State Accountability Climate Policy.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S., Kok, M.T.J., Visseren-Hamakers, I.J., Termeer, C.J.A.M., 2017b. Mainstreaming biodiversity in economic sectors: An analytical framework. Biological Conservation 201, 145-156.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S.I., 2010. The United Nations and Global Energy Governance: Past Challenges, Future Choices. Global Change, Peace and Security 22, 175-195.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S.I., 2013. The Role of Principles for Allocating Governance Levels in the 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development. International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics 13, 441-459.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S.I., 2016. The UN, Energy, and the Sustainable Development Goals, In: Thijs Van de Graaf, B.K.S., Arunabha Ghosh, Florian Kern, and, Klare, M.T. (Eds.), Palgrave Handbook of the International Political Economy of Enegy. Palgrave, London, pp. 115-138.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S.I., Friberg, L., Saccenti, E., 2016. Read all about it!? Public accountability, fragmented global climate governance and the media. Climate Policy, 1-12.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S.I., Jollands, N., Staudt, L., 2012. Global Governance for Sustainable Energy: The Contribution of a Global Public Goods Approach. Ecological Economics 83, 11-18.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S.I., McGee, J., 2013. Legitimacy in an Era of Fragmentation: The Case of Global Climate Governance. Global Environmental Politics 13, 56-78.
- Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S.I., Vihma, A., 2009. Comparing the Legitimacy and Effectiveness of Global Hard and Soft Law: An Analytical Framework. Regulation & Governance 3, 400-420.
- Ulloa, A.M., Jax, K., Karlsson-Vinkhuyzen, S., 2018. Enhancing implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity: A novel peer-review mechanism aims to promote accountability and mutual learning. Biological Conservation 217, 371–376.