- We strongly recommend you review your passport status as soon as possible, so if a renewal or application is required, you can begin the process. U.S. passports are taking up to 11 weeks to process (not including mail time).
- Review the latest requirements for entry at the Canadian border. At the moment, Canada requires travelers to be fully vaccinated to enter the country. Be sure to bring a copy of your proof of vaccination and photo ID with you for entry. See the Canadian Entry & COVID section below. For exceptions for kids and adult dependents, see the Children and Dependents Section here>>
- If you require a visa, please email TC2022@earthsystemgovernance.org so that you can receive a letter as part of the visa process. Canada recommends submitting for a visa no later than 12 weeks before your departure date.
We are continuing to monitor local, state/provincial, federal, and international guidance for the latest developments.
Preparing to Travel to Canada
International travelers may need a visa and an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Please read below for more information on both. Find out if you need a visa and/or eTA>>
In addition to a passport, some international attendees from outside the U.S. may need a visa. To request an Invitation Letter from the Earth System Governance Project to assist with the visa process. The Canadian Government encourages attendees to check processing times to find out how long it takes us to process most applications. Each application is different and takes a different amount of time to process. If you’ve already applied, learn how to check your application status. Attendees are encouraged to apply at least 12 weeks in advance of their departure date to ensure they receive the visa in time for the start of the event.
- Visitor Visa (Who Can Apply)>>
- Visa Application>>
The visa required is the visitor’s visa – the objective of the trip is to attend a conference.
- Check your visa application status>>
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
All travelers entering Canada from outside the U.S. and Mexico need to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The cost is $7 CAD, and you can apply online>>
- Find out about eTAs and how you can apply
- Apply for an eTA
- What to do after you apply
- Check your eTA status
COVID-19 & International Travel
Please be sure to review the guidance under COVID-19 and Canadian Entry section. Currently, you must be fully vaccinated to enter Canada. A list of requirements and accepted vaccines can be found under the section, and they can also be located on the Canadian travel page>>
Please also review the requirements for returning to your country of origin.
We continue to monitor local, provincial, federal, and international guidance for health and safety, and we will keep you updated.