Call for side-event proposals
Interconnections Zone during COP23: Exploring Interconnections between Climate Change and Sustainable Development
6-17 November 2017, Bonn, Germany
The German Development Institute/Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) invites proposals for side-events at the Interconnections Zone during the 23rd Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (6-17 November 2017).
The Interconnections Zone, at only 5 minutes walking distance from the main negotiations venue (‘Bula Zone’), will facilitate dialogue towards more integrated and balanced development, which would both deliver on the 2030 Agenda (including 17 Sustainable Development Goals and the Financing for Development Process) and the Paris Climate Agreement. As a transdisciplinary space, it welcomes civil society, researchers, policy-makers and other stakeholders to explore interconnections, and possible synergies, between climate change and sustainable development. The Interconnections Zone will be accessible to participants with and without COP23 accreditation.
We invite proposals for side events addressing one or more of the following thematic areas:
- Climate and Sustainable Development – Synergies and Trade-offs
- Strengthening (Transnational) Climate and Sustainability Action in Developing Countries
- Linking NDC and SDG implementation
- Climate Justice and Equity
- Governance and Institutions for Sustainable Development and Climate Action
- Handling Climate Risks, and Loss and Damage
- Bolstering Climate and Sustainable Development Finance
- Realizing the Green Economy and Exploring Linkages between Climate and Trade
- Powering the Future: Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development
- Sustainable and Climate Compatible Land-Use and Forestry
- Sustainable and Climate Resilient Cities and Regions
- Water, Development and Climate Change
Successful side event proposals must meet the following minimal conditions:
- The proposed event must address climate change and aspects of sustainable development
- The proposed side event must be transdisciplinary, engaging speakers/panellists from different communities, for instance from research, civil society, activist communities, policy, business and investor communities.
- The applicant can viably take full responsibility for organizing and programming of their side-event
- The applicant is fully responsible for (e.g. travel and accommodation) costs made for their side-event.*
- The applicant must be willing to collaborate with, and communicate to, the German Development Institute/Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) on the programming of their side-event.
DIE and the organizing team of the Interconnections Zone evaluate proposals on the basis of quality and relevance, as well as take into account geographic balance and inclusiveness within the proposed side event (ensuring balanced participation from developed and developing countries, as well as striving for gender balance in panels, and among speakers). We may request applicants with similar content to consider merging their proposals. The overall programme of the Interconnections Zone should feature significant participation of, and attention to the global South.
Please submit your proposal by Friday 7 July 2017 using this link.
For more information, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
14 Jul 2017: Deadline for side-event proposals
Early Aug 2017: Notification of decisions
Early Sep 2017: Final Programming
6-17 Nov 2017: Interconnections Zone
Link to full announcement here (pdf)
* DIE offers side-event space at 5 minutes walking distance from the conference venue, conferencing facilities (including event spaces equipped with projectors, microphones, and theatre style seating arrangements – rooms fit 60-90 people). DIE cannot provide travel or accommodation funding, or arrange access to official COP23 venues.