Call for Applications
What: Research visit to Chinese universities and research institutes in the area of environmental governance
Why: To establish and strengthen relationships between leading Chinese research centers on environmental governance and research fellows of the Earth System Governance project
Who: 6-12 research fellows of the Earth System Governance project
When: June 2019, ~10 days (partial participation possible)
Where: Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu
Deadline expression of interest: 15 February 2019
The Research Visit to China will follow the successful model of Earth System Governance Research Trips in Europe in 2017 and 2018. A group of early to mid-career Earth System Governance Research Fellows will travel to several leading institutions in China in the area of environmental governance. The visit will allow for an exchange of ideas and experiences between the Earth System Governance project and Chinese research centers with the aim of establishing relationships for future collaboration. It will also provide a chance to share and discuss new directions in earth system governance research, gain inspiration and broaden horizons.
Aims and objectives
- To visit leading Chinese research groups on environmental governance with a group of early to mid-career researchers of the Earth System Governance project.
- To present research by Earth System Governance Research Fellows to Chinese audiences
- To create connections and establish continuing cooperative relationship between the Earth System Governance Project and leading Chinese Universities.
- To strengthen the Earth System Governance research network in China, with the possibility to establish future Research Centres or host Earth System Governance events.
- To exchange and discuss new research directions, theories and methodologies in environmental governance research through dialogue between Earth System Governance research fellows and colleagues at Chinese Universities.
- To provide an opportunity for Earth System Governance research fellows interested in studying environmental governance issues in China to create long-term collaborations with Chinese researchers and universities.
- Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Peking University, Beijing
- Fudan University, Shanghai
- Tongji University, Shanghai
- Shanghai Ocean University, Shanghai
- Duke Kunshan University, Kunshan
- Sichuan Agricultural University, Chengdu
- Sichuan University, Chengdu
(partial participation possible)
|Tuesday 11 June 2019||Arrival in Chengdu|
|Day 1||Wednesday 12 June 2019||Visit Sichuan Agricultural University|
|Day 2||Thursday 12 June 2019||Excursion/field visit|
|Day 3||Friday 14 June 2019||Visit Sichuan University|
|Day 4||Saturday 15 June 2019||Travel to Beijing (8 -10 hours by train/ or 2 hour flight) and have a rest|
|Day 5||Sunday 16 June 2019||Excursion/field visit Beijing|
|Day 6||Monday 17 June 2019||Visit Tsinghua University (or one of Beijing Normal and Renmin University)|
|Day 7||Tuesday 18 June 2019||Visit Peking University|
|Day 8||Wednesday 19 June 2019||Travel to Shanghai (4,5 – 6 hours by train) and have a rest (or travel Tuesday afternoon and use this day in Shanghai)|
|Day 9||Thursday 20 June 2019||Visit Tongji University and/or Fudan University|
|Day 10||Friday 21 June 2019||Visit Duke Kunshan University|
|Saturday 22 June 2019||Travel back home from Shanghai|
How to apply
Participation is open for all research Fellows of the Earth System Governance project. Please apply by 15 February 2019 by writing a short motivation statement that answers the following questions:
- Why would you like to join?
- What is the focus of your current research? (all participants are asked to present their work at one of the research groups that we will visit)
- Do you have ideas for additional people or projects to connect with in China?
Please send your application to email@example.com
- Participants have to cover their own travel to and from China, including insurance and visa costs (limited partial support by the Earth System Governance Project will be available).
- Sichuan Agricultural University will cover local expenses in Chengdu (accommodation, food and local travel) and will provide visa invitation letters.
- Duke Kunshan University will cover local transportation, hotel and meals in Kunshan.
- All other expenses will need to be covered by participants (limited partial support by the Earth System Governance Project will be available).
About the Earth System Governance research alliance
The Earth System Governance research alliance is the largest social science research network in the field of governance and global environmental change. The research of members of this network focuses on “the interrelated and increasingly integrated system of formal and informal rules, rule-making systems, and actor-networks at all levels of human society (from local to global) that are set up to steer societies towards preventing, mitigating, and adapting to global and local environmental change and, in particular, earth system transformation, within the normative context of sustainable development” (Earth System Governance Science Plan, 2009). The Earth System Governance research alliance includes research centers in 5 continents, a leadership group of internationally prominent senior scientists, and a dynamic and active network of over 400 research fellows world-wide.