Prof Dr Claire Dupont is Assistant Professor of European and International Governance at Ghent University, Belgium. Her research is focused on EU and international climate and energy policies, and on the challenges for multiple levels of democratic governance systems to respond to the sustainability challenge. She is interested in the potential of whole-of-government approaches and policy integration as enablers of the sustainability transition. She has also carried out research on the role of expertise in policymaking and policy evaluation, and on the evolution of the political salience of the climate issue over time. Her research explores the potential of political representation to serve as a mechanism for ensuring sustainable development and justice towards future generations in EU governance. These research avenues build upon Claire’s past research, which highlighted climate policy integration as a tool for promoting measures to mitigate and adapt to climate change across multiple sectors and multiple levels of governance. She is a member of the GOVTRAN network on Governing the EU’s Climate and Energy Transition in Turbulent Times (until 2021).
Claire received her PhD in political science from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in 2013. Her thesis was entitled: Climate Policy Integration into EU Energy Policy. Since 2016, she has served as a member of the Scientific Committee of the European Environment Agency.
- Dupont, Claire. 2019. ‘The EU’s Collective Securitisation of Climate Change’. West European Politics, 42(2): 369-390.
- Dupont, Claire. 2019. ‘Representing Future Generations’, in Dupont, Claire and Mihnea Tanasescu (eds.), The Edges of Political Representation: Mapping, Critiquing and Pushing the Boundaries. London: Rowman and Littlefield; ECPR Press, pp. 105-122.
- Dupont, Claire and Lisanne Groen. 2018. Framing in het EU-klimaatbeleid: het rol van expertise. Vlaamse tijdschrift voor overheid en management (VTOM), 2018(2): 51-62.
- Dupont, Claire, Sebastian Oberthür and Katja Biedenkopf. 2018. ‘Climate Change: Adapting to Evolving Internal and External Dynamics’. In Adelle, Camilla, Katja Biedenkopf and Diarmuid Torney (eds.), European Union External Environmental Policy: Rules, Regulation and Governance Beyond Borders, Houndmills: Palgrave MacMillan, pp. 105-124.
- Dupont, Claire and Sebastian Oberthür. 2017. ‘The Council, the European Council and International Climate Policy: Stuck on the Road to Transformational Leadership’. In Wurzel, Rüdiger K.W., Duncan Liefferink and James Connelly (eds.), Still Leading: The European Union as a Leader in International Climate Change Politics. London: Routledge, pp. 66-79.
- Dupont, Claire. 2016. Climate Policy Integration into EU Energy Policy: Progress and Prospects. London: Routledge.
- Dupont, Claire and Sebastian Oberthür (eds). 2015. Decarbonization in the European Union: Internal Policies and External Strategies. Houndmills: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Dupont, Claire and Sebastian Oberthür. 2012. ‘Insufficient Climate Policy Integration in EU Energy Policy: the Importance of the Long-Term Perspective’. Journal of Contemporary European Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 228-247. Available at: http://www.jcer.net/index.php/jcer/article/view/474.
- Dupont, Claire, and Radostina Primova. 2011. ‘Combating Complexity: the Integration of EU Climate and Energy Policies’. In Tosun, Jale and Israel Solorio (eds.) Energy and Environment in Europe: Assessing a Complex Relationship, European Integration online Papers (EioP), Special Mini-Issue 1, vol. 15, article 8. Available at: http://eiop.or.at/eiop/texte/2011-008a.htm.
- Oberthür, Sebastian and Claire Roche Kelly. 2008. ‘EU Leadership in International Climate Policy: Achievements and Challenges’. International Spectator, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 35-50. Available at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03932720802280594