Dr Kim Schumacher is a consultant for the Luxembourg Ministry of the Environment, Climate and Sustainable Development and a Honorary Research Associate of the Economy and Society Research Cluster at the School of Geography and the Environment, University Oxford. Prior to his current engagements, he conducted research as part of the Economics of Sustainability and the Sustainable Finance Programmes at the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment.In addition, he is a Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) and sits on the ISO Technical Committees on Sustainable Finance (TC 322) and Environmental Management (TC 207). He is also is a member of the Technical Working Groups of the Climate Disclosure Standards Board (CDSB), the Climate Bonds Initiative (CBI), and the ICMA Green Bond Principles (ICMA GBP).
His research interests focus on Low-Carbon Energy Transition, Sustainable Finance, ESG Data Collection, Clean Energy Technology Development, Environmental Regulatory Procedures, Land Use Assessment, and Climate Change Policies. In the past, he was also a visiting research fellow at Harvard University and a visiting researcher at the University of Cambridge.
He holds a PhD Degree in Environmental Sciences from the University of Tokyo (2017). He received an LL.M degree from UC Berkeley (2012) and dual-Master degree from the University of Warwick and the University of Lille II (2011). He also holds MA and BA degrees from the latter (2010, 2009).
- Schumacher, K. (2019) Approval procedures for large-scale renewable energy installations: comparison of national legal frameworks in Japan, New Zealand, the EU and the US. Energy Policy, 129: 139-152.
- Schumacher, K. and Yang, Z. (2018) The determinants of wind energy growth in the United States: Drivers and barriers to state-level development. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 97: 1-13.
- Schumacher, K. (2017) Large-scale Renewable Energy Project Barriers: Environmental Impact Assessment Streamlining Efforts in Japan and the EU. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 65: 100-110.
- Schumacher, K. (2015) Comparative Analysis of the Environmental Impact Assessment Procedures of Japan and New Zealand. The International Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice, 11(2).
- Caldecott, B., Dericks, G., Bouveret, G., Schumacher, K., Pfeiffer, A., Tulloch, D.J., Kruitwagen, L. and McCarten, M. (2018) Asset – level data and the Energy Transition: Findings from ET Risk Work Package 2. Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.