Kristiaan Kok is a PhD researcher (2018-2022) working at the Athena Institute of the VU University in Amsterdam. He has a background in Physics (MSc) and Political Sciences (MSc). His PhD research focuses on the politics and governance of sustainability transitions. In particular, it aims to provide insights on how to better understand, govern and support transdisciplinary transition experiments and inclusive (policy) innovation, especially in the context of (EU) agri-food systems. More broadly, his work is connected to sustainability transitions in agri-food systems; the role of democracy and deliberation in transition governance; conceptualizations of power and agency in complex systems; and transdisciplinary research approaches. He has worked on (management of) several (EU-funded) projects, such as the FIT4FOOD2030 project that supported the European Commission in future-proofing EU food systems.
Further information and contact:
- Kok, K. P. W., Gjefsen, M. D., Regeer, B. J., & Broerse, J. E. W. (2021). Unraveling the Politics of ‘Doing Inclusion’ in Transdisciplinarity for Sustainable Transformation. Sustainability Science, 16, 1811-1826. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11625-021-01033-7
- Kok, K. P. W., Loeber, A. M. C., & Grin, J. (2021). Politics of complexity: Conceptualizing agency, power and powering in the transitional dynamics of complex adaptive systems. Research Policy, 50(3), 104183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2020.104183
- European Commission (Eds: Kok, K.P.W., Lucht, L. & Broerse, J.E.W.) (2021). Research and Innovation Accelerating Food System Transformation: Operationalising FOOD 2030 through Living Labs. Publications Office of the European Union. https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/b19a8129-9d96-11eb-b85c-01aa75ed71a1/language-en
- Den Boer, A. C. L., Kok, K. P. W., Gill, M. et al., (2021). Research and innovation as a catalyst for food system transformation. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 107, 150-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2020.09.021
- Kok, K. P. W., Den Boer, A. C. L., Cesuroglu, T., et al., (2019). Transforming Research and Innovation for Sustainable Food Systems: A Coupled-Systems Perspective. Sustainability, 11(24), 7176. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11247176