Mahir Yazar is a Postdoc Fellow at the Department of Geography, in the Centre for Climate and Energy Transformation at the University of Bergen, Norway. His work centres on urban governance questions in the interface of climate change governance and institutions, and justice. Building upon Elinor Ostrom’s work, he approaches the study of institutions and institutional change, examining social behavior relating to action, collective choice, and constitutional choices. He integrates Ostrom’s work with considerations of power, vulnerability, and adaptation research from geography and multi-level governance perspectives to advance understandings of climate governance and civic actions in polycentric to unitary systems.
Mahir is also an affiliated scientist in the Central Arizona-Phoenix Long-term Ecological Research (CAP-LTER) program and NSF funded ARC-NAV: Arctic Robust Communities-Navigating Adaptation to Variability at Arizona State University. Mahir holds Ph.D. in Environmental Social Science from Arizona State University with Fulbright Doctoral Scholarships.
- Yazar, M., York, A.M. (In Press) Urban Climate Governance under the Central Government Shadow: Evidence from Istanbul. Journal of Urban Affairs. https://doi.org/10.1080/07352166.2021.1915151
- Yazar, M., York, A.M., Kyriakopoulos, G. (2021). Heat Exposure and the Climate Change Beliefs in a Desert City: The case of Phoenix Metropolitan Area. Urban Climate 36:100769. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.uclim.2020.100769
- Yazar, M., Hestad, D., Mangalagiu, D., Thornton, T., Ma, Y., Saysel, A. (2020). Enabling Environment for Regime Destabilization toward Urban Transition in Megacities: Comparing Shanghai and Istanbul. Climatic Change 160(4): 727-752. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-020-02726-1
- Yazar, M., Hestad, D., Mangalagiu, D., Saysel, A., Ma, Y., Thornton, T. (2019). Urban Transformation towards Sustainability or Planned Green Gentrification? Insight from urban renewal processes in Gaziosmanpasa, Istanbul. Climatic Change 160(4): 637-653. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-019-02509-3
- Thornton, T., Mangalagiu, D., Ma, Y., Lan, J., Yazar, M., Saysel, A., Chaar, AM. (2019). Cultural models of and for urban sustainability: Assessing beliefs about Green-Win. Climatic Change 160(4): 521-537. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-019-02518-2
- Kuokkanen, A. and Yazar, M. (2018). Cities in sustainability transitions: Comparing Helsinki and Istanbul. Sustainability 10(5):1421. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10051421