Susanne Schmeier is Senior Lecturer in Water Law and Diplomacy at IHE Delft.
Her work focuses on water law, water diplomacy, transboundary water management and river basin organizations – as well as on environmental law and governance more generally.
She holds a PhD from the Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies at the Hertie School of Governance, the Free University of Berlin and the Social Science Research Center (WZB) – in collaboration with Oregon State University (OSU). Her thesis assessed the determinants of river basin governance effectiveness and the role of RBOs. She also holds an LLM in international law and a diploma in international relations and international law.
Selected publications include
- Schmeier, S. & Vogel, B. (2018): River Basin Management as a Means for Implementing Principles of International Water Resources Management – Insights from around the World, Schmutz, S. et al. (eds): Riverine Ecosystem Management: Science for governing towards a sustainable future, Berlin: Springer, 347-370
- Molnar, K., Cuppari, R., Schmeier, S. & Demuth, S. (2017): Preventing Conflicts, Fostering Cooperation – The many roles of water diplomacy, Berlin/Koblenz: Federal Foreign Office/International Centre for Water Resources and Global Change/International Centre for Water Cooperation (ICWC) at Stockholm International Water Institute
- Blumstein, S. & Schmeier, S. (2017): Disputes over International Watercourses: Can River Basin Organizations make a Difference?, Dinar, A. et al. (eds): Management of Transboundary Water Resources under Scarcity: A Multi-Disciplinary Approach, World Scientific Publisher, 191-236
- Schmeier, S. (2017): Joint institutional arrangements for transboundary waters – a comparative analysis of state practice, Rieu-Clarke, A. et al. (eds.): Routledge Handbook on Water Law and Policy, London: Routledge, 260-274
- Gerlak, A. & Schmeier, S. (2016): River Basin Organizations and the Governance of Transboundary Watercourses, Conca, K. & Weinthal, E. (eds.): Oxford Handbook on Water Politics and Policy, Oxford: Oxford University Press, DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199335084.013.20
- Schmeier, S., Gerlak, A. & Blumstein, S. (2015): Clearing the muddy waters of shared watercourses governance: conceptualizing international River Basin Organizations, International Environmental Agreements, DOI: 10.1007/s10784-015-9287-4
Schmeier, S. (2014): The Institutional Design of River Basin Organizations – Empirical Findings from around the World, International Journal of River Basin Management, 13, 1, 51-72
- Schmeier, S. (2014): River Basin Organizations lost in Translation? Transboundary River Basin Governance between Science and Policy, Bogardi, J. et al. (eds): The Global Water System in the Anthropocene. Challenges for Science and Governance, Berlin: Springer, 369-383
- Pohl, B., Carius, A., Conca, K., Dabelko, G., Kramer, A., Michel, D., Schmeier, S., Swain, A. & Wolf, A. (2014): The Rise of Hydro-Diplomacy. Strengthening foreign policy for transboundary waters, Berlin: Federal Foreign Office/Adelphi
- Gerlak, A. & Schmeier, S. (2014): Climate Change and Transboundary Waters: A Study of Discourse in the Mekong River Commission, Journal of Environment and Development, 23, 3, 358-386
- Bach H., Glennie P., Taylor R., Clausen T., Holzwarth F., Jensen K., Meija A. & Schmeier S. (2014): Cooperation for Water, Energy and Food Security in Transboundary Basins under Changing Climate, Mekong River Commission, Vientiane
- Schmeier, S. (2013): Effektives Management grenzüberschreitender Flussgebiete – die Rolle von Flussgebietskommissionen, Hydrologie und Wasserbewirtschaftung, 57, 4, 179-184
- Schmeier, S. (2013): Governing International Watercourses. The Contribution of River Basin Organizations to the Effective Governance of Internationally Shared Rivers and Lakes, London/New York: Routledge
- Heikkila, T., Gerlak, A., Bell, A. & Schmeier, S. (2013): Adaptation by a river basin organization: three cases of trigger and adaptive response within the Mekong River Commission, Environmental Science and Policy, 25, 1, 73-82
- Schulze, S. & Schmeier, S. (2012): Governing Environmental Change in International River Basins – The Role of River Basin Organizations, International Journal of River Basin Management, 10, 3, 229-244
- Schmeier, S. (2012): Navigating Cooperation beyond the Absence of Conflict: Mapping Determinants for the Effectiveness of River Basin Organizations, International Journal for Sustainable Societies, Special Issue: Water Wars in the 21st Century, 4, 1-2, 11-27
- Schmeier, S. (ed.) (2012): Assessment of RBO-Level Mechanisms for Sustainable Hydropower Development and Management, Report prepared for the MRC-GIZ Cooperation Programme, Vientiane
- Schmeier, S. (2011): Resilience to Climate Change Induced Challenges in the Mekong River Basin. The Role of the Mekong River Commission (MRC), Washington, DC: World Bank Water Working Note, May 2011
- Menniken, T. & Schmeier, S. (2010): Regionale Kooperationsstrukturen am Mekong und die institutionalisierte Bewältigung regionaler Konflikte um grenzüberschreitende natürliche Ressourcen, Internationales Asienforum, 41, 3-4, 215-242
- Schmeier, S. (2009): Regional Cooperation Efforts in the Mekong River Basin: Mitigating river-related security threats and promoting regional development, Austrian Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, 2, 2, 28-52