In March 2023, the Earth System Governance project launched the ‘South-South initiative’, which goal to further foster the ESG network in the Global South, increase exchange between scholars, and explore new relevant research themes.
Following up from the innovative session held during the 2022 Conference ‘Earth system governance and the Global South: an open conversation’ and a network-wide survey, further efforts are being made to address research topics and concepts, didactical, methodological, and pedagogical approaches, as well as science-society interactions that are relevant in different contexts in the Global South.
The initiative consists of the three following projects:
Designing virtual workshops and webinars for scholars from or based in the Global South
- On March 20th, 2023, the inaugural webinar for the launch of the book “Environmental Governance in Indonesia” took place in collaboration with RCCC Universitas Indonesia, BRIN RI, Faculty of Geography, Universitas Gadjah Mada, and KAGEGAMA.
- On April 26th, 2023, an online webinar on climate governance in Southeast Asia was held in partnership with the Indo-Pacific Circle.
- In August 2023, a webinar on “Decolonizing Environmental Governances from Community-led Perspectives” will be held online.
- On September 13th, a webinar on climate governance, opportunities and challenges in Latin America will be held online.
A day of South-South Dialogues’ workshops at the 2023 Conference at Radboud University
On October 22nd, before the main conference’s official start, a South-South Dialogues day will be organized to build upon the research network between early career researchers (ECRs) and mid/senior scholars from and/or based in the so-called Global South in a more structured manner.
This event will also be an opportunity to tackle the Conference theme ‘Bridging Sciences and Societies for Sustainability Transformations’ in different Southern contexts.
More information can be found on the webpage dedicated to this event.
Exploring a call for a special issue in the ESG Journal
This Special Issue is expected to be released in 2024. Further information regarding the call for papers will be made available in due time.
The South-South initiative is led by an organizing Committee composed by Early Career and Senior researchers (see members below) and facilitated by the International Project Office of the Earth System Governance.
- Cristina Yumie Aoki Inoue,
- Dhanasree Jayaram,
- Veronica Korber Gonçalves,
- Matias Alejandro Franchini,
- Maitreyee Mukherjee,
- Thais Lemos Ribeiro,
- Cebuan Bliss