Dr Yulia Yamineva is senior researcher (docent) at the Centre for Climate, Energy and Environmental Law of the Law School, University of Eastern Finland.
Dr Yamineva combines academic background in law and international relations (Ph.D. in International Studies, University of Cambridge) with several years of UN climate policy experience (UNFCCC Secretariat, IISD). Her work has covered various topics in the field of international law and governance on climate change and air pollution as well as science-policy interface. In addition to the global focus, Dr Yamineva has done academic and consultancy work on Eurasia (Russia, Arctic, Central Asia), Asia (China, Indonesia), and Latin America (Chile, Mexico). She regularly consults for UN agencies mainly in the field of capacity building for climate change negotiations, and formulating and implementing national climate policies.
Currently, Dr Yamineva works on the global, international and national regulation of short-lived climate pollutants (black carbon, methane, hydrofluorocarbons, tropospheric ozone). Theoretically, this research employs the concepts of global environmental law, multi-level governance and regime interaction. This work is done in the context of the European Research Council’s project “ClimaSlow: Slowing Down Climate Change: Combining Climate Law and Climate Science to Identify the Best Options to Reduce Emissions of Short-Lived Climate Pollutants in Developing Countries (China, India, Chile and Mexico)”. The interdisciplinary project which involves close cooperation with climate modellers runs until 2021.
In parallel, Dr Yamineva is also building a research agenda on the law and governance of climate and sustainable finance and investment.
Key Academic and Policy Publications
International law and governance on climate change and air pollution
- Yamineva, Yulia, and Kati Kulovesi. Keeping the Arctic White: The Legal and Governance Landscape for Reducing Short-lived Climate Pollutants in the Arctic Region. In Transnational Environmental Law, 7 (2), 2018.
- Contributing author to the chapter on governance, UN Environment – Climate and Clean Air Coalition report “Air Pollution in the Asia-Pacific: Science-based Solutions”, forthcoming in 2018.
- Yamineva, Yulia, and Seita Romppanen. Is Law Failing to Address Air Pollution? Reflections on International and EU Developments. In Review of European Community and International Environmental Law (RECIEL), 26 (3), 2017 (open access).
- Yamineva, Yulia. Climate Finance in the Paris Outcome: Why Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow? RECIEL, Special Issue on the Paris Agreement, July 2016.
- Kuokkanen, Tuomas, and Yulia Yamineva. Regulating Geoengineering in International Environmental Law. Carbon and Climate Law Review, 3/2013, pp.161-167. Reprinted in Verschuuren, Jonathan, ed. Environmental Law and Climate Change. Volume II. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2015.
- Yamineva, Yulia, and Kati Kulovesi. The Future Framework for Climate Finance under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change: a Breakthrough or an Empty Promise? In Hollo, Erkki, Kati Kulovesi and Michael Mehling, eds. Climate Change and the Law, Springer, 2013. Pp. 191-223.
Science – policy interface
- Yamineva, Yulia. Lessons from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change on Inclusiveness across Geographies and Stakeholders. In Environmental Science and Policy, 77 (November 2017), Special Issue on Global Environmental Assessments, pp. 244-251.
- Kowarsch, Martin, Jason Jabbour, Christian Flachsland, Marcel T.J. Kok, Sir Robert Watson, Peter M. Haas, Jan C. Minx, Joseph Alcamo, Jennifer Garard, Pauline Riou, László Pintér, Cameron Langford, Yulia Yamineva, Christoph von Stechow, Jessica O’Reilly, Ottmar Edenhofer. A Road Map for Global Environmental Assessments. In Nature Climate Change, 7(6), 2017.
- Kohler, Pia, Alexandra Conliffe, Maria Gutierrez, Stefan Jungcurt, and Yulia Yamineva. Informing Policy: the Role of Science and Knowledge in Global Environmental Agreements. In Chasek, Pamela S., and Lynn M. Wagner, eds. The Roads from Rio: Lessons Learned from Twenty Years of Multilateral Environmental Negotiations. New York: RFF Press, Taylor and Francis, 2012.
Russia’s climate law and policy
- Yamineva, Yulia. Opportunities for Climate Litigation in Russia: the Impossibility of the Possible. In Mbengue, Makane Moïse, and Francesco Sindico, eds. Climate Change and the Individual. Springer, 2018 (forthcoming).
- Yamineva, Yulia. Climate Policy in Russia. In Encyclopedia of Mineral and Energy Policy, edited by Günter Tiess, Tapan Majumder and Peter Cameron. Springer, 2016.