I am a senior researcher at Kaunas University of Technology specializing in international environmental institutions. I hold a PhD in political science from the Free University Brussels (VUB) and have previously taught at the University of São Paulo. My primary interest is in the interaction between environmental and technological questions. Key themes in my research are: the design and effectiveness of international environmental institutions; institutional fragmentation and complexity; and the ways in which institutional frameworks adapt to regulatory gaps brought about by emerging technologies.
I have published widely on the overlap between biodiversity, biotechnology and intellectual property rights. Presently, I mainly look into the global governance of new biotechnologies (i.e. synthetic biology and gene drives) as well as climate engineering. I am also the principal investigator in the project “institutional adaptation to technological change” funded by the Lithuanian Research Council.
- ”A Topic Network Analysis of the System Turn in the Environmental Sciences”, Scientometrics, online first. DOI: 10.1007/s11192-020-03824-8. With Alin Olteanu, Jurgita Jurkeviciene and Agne Budzyte.
- “Topic Modelling the News Media Representation of Climate Change”, Environmental Sociology, online first. DOI: 10.1080/23251042.2020.1866281. With Audrone Telesiene and Eimante Zolubiene.
- “Access and Allocation in Global Biodiversity Governance: A Review”, International Environmental Agreements 20(2): 359-375. With Brendan Coolsaet, Neil Dawson and Simone Lovera, 2020.
- “The Brazilian Renewable Energy Policy Framework: Instrument Design and Coherence”, Climate Policy 20(5): 65-660. With Markus Fraundorfer, 2020.
- “Gene Drives and the International Biodiversity Regime”, Review of European, Comparative & International Environmental Law, online first. DOI: 10.1111/reel.12289
- “Institutional Drift in International Biotechnology Regulation”, Global Policy 10(2): 227-237, 2019.
- “Governing the Termination Problem in Solar Radiation Management”, Environmental Politics 28(3): 502-522, 2019.
- “Regime Complexity, Critical Actors and Institutional Layering”, Journal of International Relations and Development 21(2): 300-321, 2018.
- “The Global Governance of Genetic Resources: Institutional Change and Structural Constraints”, Routledge, 2017.
- “Access Without Benefit-sharing: Design, Effectiveness and Reform of the FAO Seed Treaty”, International Journal of the Commons 11(2): 621-640, 2017.
- “Managing Genetic Resources: International Regimes, Problem Structures, National Implementation”, Earth System Governance Working Paper, 2017.
- “Going Rogue? Scenarios for Unilateral Geoengineering”, Futures 84(A): 98-107, 2016.
- “Biopiracy after the Nagoya Protocol: Problem Structure, Regime Design and Implementation Challenges”, Brazilian Political Science Review 9(2): 30-53, 2015.
- “Explaining Institutional Change in International Patent Politics”, Third World Quarterly 35(9): 1582-1597, 2014.
- “On the EU’s Performance and Leadership in Global Environmental Governance: The Case of the Nagoya Protocol”, Journal of European Public Policy 21(1): 39-57. With Sebastian Oberthür, 2014.