Naho is Senior Lecturer in Geography at the Department of Geography, King’s College London. She is trained in political science, international studies and human geography with over 15 years of research experience. She has interests in the politics and governance of the environment, particularly water. This body of work cuts across issues of development and security. Her research on water issues particularly in developing country contexts focuses on analysis of institutions; power and environmental discourse; scale and agency.
Naho has fieldwork experience in the Orange-Senqu River basin in Southern Africa, Ganges River basin in South Asia, and the Mekong River basin in Southeast Asia, and most recently Tanzania. Naho heads King’s Water, a research hub for staff and students working on water, environment and development at the Department of Geography.
She is Associate Editor of WIREs Water and an editorial board member of International Environmental Agreements and Water International. She served as lead author on water policy for the UNEP GEO-6 report (2019). Naho is currently leading the Environmental Security working group for The Taskforce on Conceptual Foundations of Earth System Governance. See more details at: http://www.earthsystemgovernance.net/conceptual-foundations/?page_id=178
- Zeitoun, M., Mirumachi, N., Warner, J. (2020) Water Conflicts: Analysis for Transformation, Oxford University Press, New York.
- Mirumachi, N (2015) Transboundary Water Politics in the Developing World. Routledge, Abingdon.
Selected journal papers
- Mirumachi, N., Sawas, A., Workman, M. (2019) Unveiling the security concerns of low carbon development: climate security analysis of the undesirable and unintended effects of mitigation and adaptation. Climate and Development. https://doi.org/10.1080/17565529.2019.1604310
- Rusca, M., dos Santos, T., Menga, F., Mirumachi, N., Schwartz, K., & Hordijk, M. (2018) Space, state-building and the hydraulic mission: Crafting the Mozambican State. Environment and Planning C. 37 (5): 868-888
- Warner, J., Mirumachi, N., Farnum, R., Grandi, M., Menga, F., Zeitoun, M. (2017) Transboundary ‘hydro-hegemony’: 10 years later WIREs Water. 1-13
- Zeitoun, M., Lankford, B., Krueger, T., Forsyth, T., Carter, R., Hoekstra, A. Y., Varis, O., Cleaver, F., Boelens, R., van der Zaag, P., Taylor, R., Swatuk, L., Tickner, D., Scott, C.A., Famiglietti, J., Budds, J., Edwards, G., Dorling, S., Mirumachi, N., Matthews, N.(2016) Complex water security policy challenges: An analysis of different research approaches, Global Environmental Change, 39, p. 143-154