Alan is Senior Lecture in Environmental Management in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia. He is interested in the effectiveness of decision making tools, in particular, sustainability assessment, health impact assessment and environmental assessment at strategic and project levels. Recent work has applied sustainability assessment to biomass crop planting in England.
Alan has 20 years experience in Environmental Assessment (EA). He pioneered a distance-leaning MSc programme in EIA and continues to run a full-time MSc programme on Environmental Assessment and Management at the University of East Anglia. He is a member of the Editorial Board of Environmental Impact Assessment Review and Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal and is a member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment’s (IEMA) Quality Mark Panel which assesses the quality of environmental assessment work undertaken by consultancy companies..
Alan also sits on the Radioactive Waste Management Directorate’s (part of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority) Environmental Assessment Advisory Panel where is advises on sustainability assessment, strategic environmental assessment and environmental impact assessment. He has previously conducted research for WHO, European Commission, Health Development Agency, European Environment Agency, Welsh Assembly Government, Environment Agency, and has undertaken consultancy work with Entec, Ben Cave Associates, UK Nirex Ltd., Enviros, and Land Use Consultants.
- Bond, A, A Morrison-Saunders and R Howitt, (editors). (2012), Sustainability Assessment: Pluralism, Practice and Progress, Built Environment Series. (Taylor and Francis, London).
- Rozema, J G, A J Bond, M Cashmore and J Chilvers (2012), "An investigation of environmental and sustainability discourses associated with the substantive purposes of environmental assessment", Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 33(1), pages 80-90.
- Wende, W, A J Bond, N Bobylev and L Stratmann (2012), "Climate change mitigation and adaptation in strategic environmental assessment", Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 32(1), pages 88-93.
- Bond, A, B Cave, M Martuzzi and S Nuntavorakarn (2011), "Addressing Health Impacts in SEA", in B Sadler, R Aschemann, J Dusik, T Fischer, M Partidario and R Verheem (editors), Handbook of Strategic Environmental Assessment (Earthscan, London) pages 369-379.
- Bond, A, T Dockerty, A Lovett, A B Riche, A J Haughton, D A Bohan, R B Sage, I F Shield, J W Finch, M M Turner and A Karp (2011), "Learning how to deal with values, frames and governance in Sustainability Appraisal", Regional Studies, 45(8), pages 1157-1170.
- Gallardo, A L C F and A Bond (2011), "Capturing the implications of land use change in Brazil through environmental assessment: Time for a strategic approach?" Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 31(3), pages 261-270.
- Gallardo, A L C F and A Bond (2011), "Investigating the effectiveness of environmental assessment of land use change: A comparative study of the approaches taken to perennial biomass crop planting in São Paulo and England", Biomass and Bioenergy, 35(5), pages 2285-2297.
- Bond, A J and A Morrison-Saunders (2011), "Re-evaluating Sustainability Assessment: aligning the vision and the practice", Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 31(1) 1-7.
- Bond, A J, C V Viegas, C Coelho de Souza Reinisch Coelho and P M Selig (2010) Informal knowledge processes: the underpinning for sustainability outcomes in EIA? Journal of Cleaner Production, 18(1) 6-13.
- Theophilou, V, A Bond and M Cashmore (2010) Application of the SEA Directive to EU structural funds: perspectives on effectiveness. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 30(2) 136-144.
- Bond, A, A Jones, R Haynes, M Tam, E Denton, M Ballantyne and J Curtin (2009), "Tackling climate change close to home: mobile breast screening as a model", Journal of Health Services Research Policy, 14(3), pages 165-167.
- Bond, A J and A Morrison-Saunders (2009) Sustainability Appraisal: jack of all trades, master of none? Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 27(4) 321-329.
- Cashmore, M, A Bond and B Sadler (2009) Introduction: The effectiveness of impact assessment instruments. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 27(2) 91-93.
- Haughton, A J, A J Bond, A A Lovett, T Dockerty, G Sünnenberg, S J Clark, D A Bohan, R B Sage, M D Mallott, V E Mallott, M D Cunningham, A B Riche, I F Shield, J W Finch, M M Turner and A Karp (2009) A novel, integrated approach to assessing social, economic and environmental implications of changing rural land-use: a case study of perennial biomass crops. Journal of Applied Ecology, 46(2) 315-322.
- Burns, J and A Bond (2008) The consideration of health in land use planning: barriers and opportunities, Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 28(2-3) 184-197.
- Cashmore, M, A Bond and D Cobb (2008) The role and functioning of environmental assessment: Theoretical reflections upon an empirical investigation of causation. Journal of Environmental Management, 88(4) 1233-1248.